1966 Melbourne Salvation Army hostel fire that killed 30 a ‘horrific moment’ in history

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSend via EmailNormal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text sizeNo one came forward to claim 15 of the 30 bodies.The victims had been living in a cramped Salvos hostel in flimsy corrugated iron and mesh roof cubicles off narrow corridors. It was 1966 and they were destitute.PauseUnmute2:19/2:22Loaded: 0%Progress: 0% FullscreenIn 1966 a fire was lit by a stray cigarette that ended up killing 29 men in the Salvation Army’s William Booth hospital for men in Lt Lonsdale St. (Video courtesy Movietone)When a blaze ripped through the five-storey William Booth Memorial Home, many didn’t stand a chance. It was Australia’s deadliest single building fire.It began when Vincent Fox, a chemist, returned from the Metropolitan Hotel to his third-floor room – one of 64 poky cubicles crammed in to each floor.

Source: 1966 Melbourne Salvation Army hostel fire that killed 30 a ‘horrific moment’ in history

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *